Blog and Facebook problem

>> Saturday 13 February 2010

Anyone who might have a clue what the problem is?

Since I changed template on this blog, and modified some other things (installed new widgets) whenever I “post to Facebook” something from this blog Facebook does not recognise and post the photo.

Previously, each time I posted something to Facebook, e.g. using the AddThis widget at the end of each post Facebook picked up the photo from the post and put it in my new Facebook entry. But that no longer works. Facebook doesn’t post any photo at all when I send something to it from this blog.

[UPDATE] It seems that it has something to do with the new template I am using, Webnolia (info and code here) but I can't figure out what might be causing the issue. (I tested if it might have been the TweetMeme widget and it was not. Nor is it  the LinkWithin widget since I use it on another blog, The BKWine Brief Blog, and it does not have this issue. That blog uses a standard Blogger template. [END]

Anyone has a clue as to what might be the problem?

[UPDATE 2:] This is really strange. To trouble shoot this Facebook-Blogger problem I created a new test blog with the Webnolia templat. Posting to Facebook from that blog worked fine. The image thumbnail from the blog posted fine on FB. Why??? I don't know. So I started adding all widgets/gadgets and (the very few) code changes I had on my real blog to the test blog to see what widget messed things up. Nothing. It all worked fine. Why??? I don't know.

What to do now? Well, I thought that one way to find out what was the problem would be to rebuild the (old) real Wine Picture blog and test it at every single step. I saw no other way to figure out what was the problem. (I had read in detail both the templates last night and could see nothing wrong.)

So I started rebuilding... And voila - after rebuilding the "real" blog from scratch it works. I have no clue, NO CLUE, why it didn't work before. But now, after having done all the work once again (much quicker this time of course) it works fine. It's probably magic involved somewhere.

Having done that I took the opportunity to add some improvements:

I changed the link design from "underline" to "dashed unerline". That's done with a css attribute:

You get an underline on links by default. If you don't want an underline you can specify:
a {text-decoration: none;}

But not using any underline at all is bad user interface management. Instead, I preferred to change to something less of an eye-sore than the underline: a dotted underline. (You can also do dashed.)

This is how you can do a dotted underline (if you know WHERE to do it in the CSS):

.post-body p a, .post-body p a:visited {
color: $mainLinkColor;
/* Change, OLD text-decoration: underline; */
text-decoration: none;
border-bottom-width: 1px;
border-left-width: 0px;
border-right-width: 0px;
border-top-width: 0px;
border-style: dotted;
/* Change END */
}
That's the section in the Webnolia template that needed to be changed.

I also introduced the same dotted underline in the sidebars, but only on "hoover". There are so many links in the side bar and the font is relatively small, so it would have been cluttered with a normal (or dotted) permanent underline.

[But there are still mysteries. Why, for example, does this post get full underlines instead of dotted ones? http://wine-pictures.blogspot.com/2010/02/blogger-vs-wordpress-comparison-of-blog.html]

Enough on this for today.

[By the way, here's a useful generator of hex codes to get the colour scheme right when modifying the colours in the template.]

WELL, WELL,WELL, here I am tinking I have resolved the FB-blogger problem. I've redone everything and tested at every single step, and it worked. And now when I post from the blog to FB, with todays Banyuls post .......... it does not work.

I GIVE UP.

FOR NOW.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ooo

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP